Teacher in Charge: Mrs M. ShanleyEntry Requirements
Entry to this course is strictly limited.
Successful applicants must have a minimum of 8 credits in Level 1 Numeracy and Literacy plus good attendance, behavioural and work ethic records.
• The Gateway programme is a structured workplace learning opportunity for senior students (Year 13). It is an opportunity for senior students to gain hands-on experience relevant to their field of study or in the industry they want to work in when they leave school.
• An Independent Education Plan (IEP) is designed for each student and will provide details of study and assessment in the workplace.
• Students gain credits towards industry standards (NZQA) and/or National Certificate of Educational Achievement (NCEA).
• Gateway is about making learning relevant and to broaden students’ options by offering them both traditional and workplace learning.
• Learner driver’s licence programme will be available to selected students who meet the criteria.
• The core generic programme covered in class totals 20 credits, plus credits from the Workplace. All students undergo Workplace Health and Safety and Site Safety training (if required for their workplace).
1. Industrial/Vocational Based Units: An individual workplace learning plan is designed for each student and provides details of study and assessment in the workplace.
Students will be provided with industry specific units and gain credits towards industry standards (NZQA) and/or National Certificate of Educational Achievement (NCEA). Some of these maybe required to be done outside of school hours or within the school holidays.
2. Work Experience: Industry based work experience requires you to be out of school for either one full week or students can select the number of days over a number of weeks for a minimum of 40 hours.