Year 9 Social Studies
Teacher in Charge:
Social Studies is about how societies work and how people can participate and take action as critical, active, informed, and responsible citizens. Contexts are drawn from the past, present, and future and from places within and beyond New Zealand.
Students will gain knowledge, skills, and experience to:
- Understand how the ways in which leadership of groups is acquired and exercised have consequences for communities and societies.
- Understand how people pass on and sustain culture and heritage for different reasons and that this has consequences for people.
- Understand how exploration and innovation create opportunities and challenges for people, places, and environments.
- Understand that events have causes and effects.
- Understand how producers and consumers exercise their rights and meet their responsibilities.
- Understand how formal and informal groups make decisions that impact on communities.
- Understand how people participate individually and collectively in response to community challenges.